List:       autoconf
Subject:    Hello, a few questions
From:       dont mind <unix_tex () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2006-06-15 20:10:12

Hello,

 I'm doing a little app. in assembler (gnu gas), and would like to use gnu-autotools \
for it.
 I'm new to assembler and to autotools itself. As far as I've seen the better way to \
do this is to use cpp to preprocess my assembler files (so I can do #defines, and get \
advantage on config.h's created by autotools), and then compile it with `as'. I'm not \
willing to use gcc by now.
 So far, I'd like to know whether the target host is little or big-endian. I was \
looking at an autoconf website where you store macros already done, and it looks like \
endiannes is already handled by autoconf natively.
 In any case, I'm reading the autobook, and got info pages for autoconf, and \
automake. Follwing the given examples, I'm generating makefiles and configures with a \
lof of things I wouldn't use since I'm not willing to link with gcc.
 This might sound strange to all of you, but I wonder if there's any way to
 "strip" a lot of things I won't be using by now, so I can have a bit of more control \
over what I'm doing to this regards, while letting me understand this huge thing \
faster, and also letting me share my code easily and faster.
 Any comments or pointers would be much appreciated.

 Kind Regards,