List:       atlantik-devel
Subject:    Re: [atlantik-devel] Jabber as a communications backplane
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2003-10-20 18:29:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:07:10PM +0200, Adam Hunt wrote:
> Have you ever thought of using Jabber as the communications backend for
> monopd and it's clients?  It is XML based, supports detection of client
> presence, allows for group chat, file transfer is possible (bord layouts
> etc.) and of course it can handle simple IM.

It actually came up in a discussion recently, so yes. I haven't given it a
*lot* of consideration because I think there are more urgent issues to work
on, but I'm not ruling it out either. A friend of mine is considering to
write a Go game server using Jabber, perhaps I could benefit from his
efforts.

I would be worried about overhead though, as well as the probable
requirement for a local Jabber server (without one, playing on a LAN without
Internet would be impossible, then again the same is true without a local
monopd right now).

Rob
--=20
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap@capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
www.capsi.com | - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759