List:       atlantik-devel
Subject:    Re: [atlantik-devel]  [cap@capsi.com: [monopd-devel] auctions, debts,
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2003-07-11 7:10:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 07:53:13AM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:
> Another thing, I assume this could happen:
> 1. A user decides to acept a trade.
> 2. The server updates the trade.
> 3. The user clicks "Accept". But now he accepts the updated trade,
>    which is not what he intended to accept.
>
> The obvous fix would be to disable the accept button for a few seconds
> after a trade has been updated so that the user has a chance to notice
> the update. But that is not enough, because this could happen:
> 1. A user decides to accept a trade.
> 2. The server updates the trade.
> 3. Before the update reaches the client across the network, the user
>    clicks "Accept" and the client sends an accept message.
> 4. The server receives the accept message and assumes that the client
>    accepted the updated trade.
>
> The obvious fix for this would be to have revision numbers for the
> trade. Together with disabling the accept button for a few seconds
> after updates, this would solve the problem completely, because:
> 1. The server sends a revision number with each update of the trade.
> 2. When the client accepts a trade, it does not just send ".Ta" and
> the ID, but also the revision number that it accepts.
> 3. The server only handles trade accept requests where the revision
> number is the newest (highest) revision number for that trade ID.

Added support for revisions in monopd.

Tradeupdate has an additional revision attribute, while .Ta is extended. The
old behavior still works for older clients, but clients are encouraged to
send

.Ta1:2

(to accept trade 1, revision 2)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap@capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."