List:       atlantik-devel
Subject:    [atlantik-devel] Re: Atlantik Charter
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2002-07-18 8:57:50

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 03:11:27PM +0200, Christian Loose wrote:
> I just read your Atlantik Charter and I really like your ideas/visions. :)

Glad to hear it! :)

> I'd love to contribute to Atlantik/monopd. I'm a pretty good C++
> programmer (I program in C++ at work) from Hamburg/Germany, with some
> knowledge about KDE/Qt (helped Bernd a little with Cervisia) and some
> OpenGL knowledge.

Ah, someone with OpenGL knowledge.. that should be useful. ;)

From your intro I assume you are most interested in working on the client
part (KDE, OpenGL), if the server interests you also, let me know.

> Do you have some "bite-sized" task that I could do, while I'm trying to
> understand the code? Maybe some file needs docu? Anything?

Well, Atlantik currently barely has any library documentation (to be used
with the KDE docbook tools), that would be handy but the reason it's not
there is because it is also quite boring. ;)

I'll get back to you about bite-sized tasks, there surely must be something
that is not too large and still a good experience to familiarise oneself
with the code.

Please understand that at the moment not everything is completely
generalised, there is still *some* hardcoded stuff that limits
Atlantik/monopd to Monopoly-like board games, mostly in the client
visualisation (libatlantikui). I am sill trying to make a perfect 1.0
Monopoly release and then pick one other game to implement, improving the
API one step at the time. This worked for the first generalisation and will
work again. ;-)

(for example, right now libatlantikui can only draw a board with a center
and estates surrounding them in order, this will probably be replaced with
real grids or vectors in the future)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap@capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much