List:       ataraid-list
Subject:    Upgrade kernel RedHat 7.2 /  HPT370 onboard
From:       "-= M.J. Prinsen =-" <various () bovendelft ! xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2002-01-15 0:51:49

First of all I would like te say that I am very happy to have the
following configuration working:

RedHat 7.2 installed on an RAID - 0 array of 2 IBM 40 GB drives
connected to a HPT370 onboard raidcontroler.
My motherboard is an ABIT K7G-RAID.

I used the recently released drivers (v1.3) from
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/ to get RedHat 7.2 installed at first from
CD-ROM.
The manual that is included with the driver explains how to do this very
good.
As bootloader I used GRUB !!!

The next thing I did was to start up my installed RedHat 7.2 with the
kernel of "Highpoint (vmlinuz.hpt37x2)"
Then I downloaded the newest kernel (v2.4.17) from http://www.kernel.org
After extracting this kernel in /usr/src/linux I modified the source
like this:

In /usr/src/linux/init/main.c I inserted the following lines just above

        { "nftla", 0x5d00 },
        { "nftlb", 0x5d10 },
        { "nftlc", 0x5d20 },
        { "nftld", 0x5d30 },:

*****************

#if defined(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID)
	{ "ataraid/d0p",0x7200 },
	{ "ataraid/d1p",0x7210 },
	{ "ataraid/d2p",0x7220 },
	{ "ataraid/d3p",0x7230 },
	{ "ataraid/d4p",0x7240 },
	{ "ataraid/d5p",0x7250 },
	{ "ataraid/d6p",0x7260 },
	{ "ataraid/d7p",0x7270 },
	{ "ataraid/d8p",0x7280 },
	{ "ataraid/d9p",0x7290 },
	{ "ataraid/d10p",0x72A0 },
	{ "ataraid/d11p",0x72B0 },
	{ "ataraid/d12p",0x72C0 },
	{ "ataraid/d13p",0x72D0 },
	{ "ataraid/d14p",0x72E0 },
	{ "ataraid/d15p",0x72F0 },
#endif

*******************

MAKE ROOTDEVICE AVAILEBLE

Afterwards there are 2 possibilities I guess:

1) Edit /usr/src/linux/Makefile     -------->     change the line:
export ROOT_DEV = CURRENT       ------------> export ROOT_DEV =
/dev/ataraid/d0pX      where X = your rootpartition number

2) Go first to the next step (compiling the kernel) and after compiling
the new kernel give the following command:         /usr/sbin/rdev
/boot/kernel-new     /dev/ataraid/d0pX

COMPILE NEW KERNEL

Configure at least the following when doing "make menuconfig"

# Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=m

# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_HPT=m

# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m

# File systems
#
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m
CONFIG_JBD=m
CONFIG_JBD_DEBUG=m

After this you can compile the new kernel with "make dep clean modules
modules_install bzImage"

When this is ready you must copy the new kernel to /boot: "cp
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-new
You must also copy the System.map to /boot: "cp
/usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-new
Then you must edit the symlink /boot/System.map to point to
/boot/System.map-new

MODIFY FSTAB

Now comes the tricky part:
First we create a duplicate of /etc/fstab  ------> /etc/fstab.new

Herein we modify the entries from /dev/sda to /dev/ataraid/d0p

Example: /dev/ataraid/d0p3    /       ext3    defaults   1 1

To get the swap-device enabled when rebooting with the new kernel you
must also edit /etc/fstab and add an entry like this:

/dev/ataraid/d0p5     swap        swap     defaults    0 0

Offcourse you may have another partition that you want to use for swap
........ /dev/ataraid/d0p8  or /dev/ataraid/d0p4

MODIFY MODULES.CONF

Comment the scsi_hostadapter alias to hpt37x2 with an "#"

CREATE INITIAL RAMDISK

Now we must make an initial ramdisk with the "/sbin/mkinitrd" command
like this:

/sbin/mkinitrd -f --preload scsi_mod --preload sd_mod --preload ext3
--preload ataraid --with=hptraid --fstab=/etc/fstab.new
/boot/initrd-new.img 2.4.17

CONFIGURE GRUB

Make a new entry in /etc/grub/grub.conf like this:

Title   Linux RAID
        root (hd0,X)
        kernel /kernel-new
        initrd  /initrd-new.img

NB. In root (hd0,X) the X must be replaced by the correct partition
number where /boot is mounted on!    Example     root (hd0,3)    <------
if /boot is mounted on /dev/ataraid/d0p4

Good luck to all of you with this hack!
Questions please to raid@bovendelft.xs4all.nl

Michael
http://bovendelft.xs4all.nl