List:       asterisk-users
Subject:    [asterisk-users] Volume of messages on asterisk-users mailing list.
From:       Shaun Ruffell <sruffell () digium ! com>
Date:       2012-12-29 17:25:57

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 12:41:30AM -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:

> Even more off topic.  Can someone smarter than me get the post
> totals for each year?  I was #1 one year.  I am not even talking
> about individual post counts though.  It just seems the list has
> died for the most part.

There is a graph of the daily posting rate at:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.telephony.pbx.asterisk.user

If you click on the image you'll get the raw data which looks
something like:

  date posting-rate spam-rate
  20030217 11 0
  20030218 54 0
  20030219 67 0
  20030220 42 0
  20030221 43 0
  20030222 28 0
  20030223 41 0

I'll leave generating the yearly totals as an exercise for the
gentle reader.

You can see from the graph how much the activity on the mailing list
has dropped off. I imagine that should be expected as the technology
matures and there are other good sources of documentation. Also,
there are active forums [1] for those who do not want to be bothered
by top vs bottom posting and want a more tighly controlled
presentation of any discussions.

[1] http://forums.asterisk.org.

--
Shaun Ruffell