List:       asterisk-biz
Subject:    [Asterisk-biz] Re: DS3000
From:       David Josephson <dlj () altaphon ! com>
Date:       2005-04-29 1:52:09

Matt Klein wrote

> Yep, and that is on the Asterisk side. I didn't even think of the
> licensing costs involved in a DS-3000, smart point very well made.

> Anyone care to enter discussion? Why would we bother with a DS-3000?

Mark has to be thinking of all of this, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. The whole \
package has to pencil out vs a standalone gateway or no one will buy the cards. They \
have to be way less than $7K, and based on the photo of the cards there is no gold \
plated IC that would make it so expensive. I got a snippet of information from them a \
week or so ago saying that they expected it would run at capacity on a 2 GHz Opteron. \
That makes sense. Why would we bother? Because we could put our whole POP handling \
thousands of DID numbers or hundreds of trunks in one 1U server connected to an eager \
CLEC/colo with two pieces of RG-6 rather than a fat wad of T1 STP multipair cables.

--
David Josephson