List:       ast-users
Subject:    Re: [ast-users] ast-open, nmake problems and questions
From:       Bruce Lilly <bruce.lilly () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-27 22:37:03

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 15:50:54 -0500
Glenn Fowler <gsf@research.att.com> wrote:

> yes it does, good catch
> I believe at one time that setup worked
> but it was not very practical, especially if many s.*.h files are in
> the mix does gmake do the get s.*.c and let *.c remain?

No, [w/o a makefile] it does the get and compile, then removes the
g-file and object file, but it recognizes that the built executable is
up-to-date.

nmake (modified SCCS.mk to avoid the redirection issue) does not;
'nmake a.c' exhibits pathological behavior; nmake does the get then
immediately removes the target!

Following is captured results with gmake and nmake on a simple program
and also showing the pathological behavior noted above:

Script started on Fri Jan 27 17:22:33 2012

$ ls
nmakefile  nmakefile.mo  nmakefile.ms  s.hw.c  typescript
$ get -s -p s.hw.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, const char **argv)
{
    return printf("hello, world (version 1.1)\n"), 0;
}
$ cat nmakefile
:SCCS:
hw :: hw.c
$ grep return ${INSTALLROOT}/lib/make/SCCS.mk
                return : $(O) ok
        return $(GET) $(GETFLAGS) $(I)
$ make hw
get   s.hw.c
1.1
5 lines
cc    -c -o hw.o hw.c
cc   hw.o   -o hw
rm hw.c hw.o
$ ls
hw  nmakefile  nmakefile.mo  nmakefile.ms  s.hw.c  typescript
$ make hw
make: `hw' is up to date.
$ rm hw
$ nmake hw
+ get s.hw.c
1.1
5 lines
+ cc -O -I- -c hw.c
cc1: note: obsolete option -I- used, please use -iquote instead
+ cc -O -Wl,-z,origin '-Wl,-R,$ORIGIN/../lib' -o hw hw.o
+ rm -f hw.c
$ ls
hw  hw.o  nmakefile  nmakefile.mo  nmakefile.ms  s.hw.c  typescript
$ nmake hw
+ get s.hw.c
1.1
5 lines
+ cc -O -I- -c hw.c
cc1: note: obsolete option -I- used, please use -iquote instead
+ cc -O -Wl,-z,origin '-Wl,-R,$ORIGIN/../lib' -o hw hw.o
+ rm -f hw.c
$ rm hw hw.o
$ nmake hw.c
+ get s.hw.c
1.1
5 lines
+ rm -f hw.c
$ ls
nmakefile  nmakefile.mo  nmakefile.ms  s.hw.c  typescript
$ exit

Script done on Fri Jan 27 17:24:54 2012