List:       ast-developers
Subject:    Re: [ast-developers] conflicting types for _sfio_FILE
From:       Bob Krzaczek <krz () cis ! rit ! edu>
Date:       2015-06-15 13:05:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 02:33:34PM +0000, Rüdiger Schütz wrote:
> I am trying to 'make' the packages from source, but I am stuck with
> the error 'conflicting types for _sfio_FILE'. gcc seems to get
> confused by the use of a forward declaration.

It's quite likely a bit deeper than that.  Usually, there's a
definition for FILE in your environment that collides with AST's own
definition (the latter being a cpp macro in ast_std.h).  Fortunately,
many environments provide a way to switch off the FILE definition,
while leaving (most) everything else intact (e.g., FreeBSD uses
_STDFILE_DECLARED, Solaris uses _FILEDEFED, and so on) that you can
then wire into features/wchar or a similar location.

I don't know Cygwin, so I can't say if it has a similar hook, or if
(alternatively) a well-placed #undef will do the trick (some OS use a
macro, some use a typedef, etc).  But, certainly, start with
include/ast_std.h and features/wchar.

Good luck,
Bob

--
Bob Krzaczek, Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science, RIT
phone +1-585-4757196, email krz@cis.rit.edu, icbm 43.08586N 77.67744W