List:       aspell-user
Subject:    Re: [Aspell-user] [ASPELL] Problema con el makefile del diccionario 0.5
From:       Vincent Belaďche <vincent.b.1 () hotmail ! fr>
Date:       2016-04-04 18:56:08

Sorry for writing in Spanish. In fact I was writing primarilly to the dictionary \
maintainer, and just CC to the aspell user list. I was not aware that this makefile \
was created by some common script.

I must apologize, MSYS GNU Make works fine with obsolete rule syntax, the reason why \
it did not work was other (my configuration was such that the configure script could \
find aspell, but not word-list-compress).

Probably the only needed correction to make is that configure should be more robust \
to this case to warn the user. Attached is a fix proprosal.

VBR,
   Vincent.

> Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 19:16:03 +0200
> From: agustin6martin@gmail.com
> To: vincent.belaiche@gmail.com
> CC: srodri@fi.upm.es; jcarrete@fi.upm.es; aspell-user@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] [ASPELL] Problema con el makefile del diccionario 0.5
>
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 02:40:18PM +0200, Vincent Belaďche wrote:
> > Hola !
>
> Hi,
>
> Remember that aspell-user uses English as communication language.
> I am just adding some info, including partial translations for
> aspell maintainer benefit (Hi, Kevin)
>
> > El diccionario que está allí :
> >
> > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/es/aspell-es-0.50-2.tar.bz2
> >
> > tiene un archivo Makefile.pre con:
> >
> > --8<----8<----8<----8<----8<-- begin -->8---->8---->8---->8---->8----
> > es.rws: es.cwl
> >

> > .SUFFIXES: .cwl .rws
> >
> > .cwl.rws:
> > ${WORD_LIST_COMPRESS} d < $< | ${ASPELL} ${ASPELL_FLAGS} --lang=es create master \
> >                 ./$@
> > --8<----8<----8<----8<----8<-- end -->8---->8---->8---->8---->8----
>
> That Makefile snippet is created by aspell proc script from aspell-lang in
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/. Similar snippets seems to be in all other
> aspell dictionaries (20101122 aspell-lang seems to still use that).
>
> At least for GNU make those suffix rules are the original and obsolete way
> of defining implicit rules.
>
> > Es mejor no emplear `.SUFFIXES', no funcciona bien con todos los Make
> > (por ejemplo con MSYS no funcciona), y en lugar de `.SUFFIXES' escribir
> > la norma así:
> >
> > --8<----8<----8<----8<----8<-- begin -->8---->8---->8---->8---->8----
> > es.rws: es.cwl
> >
> > %.rws: %.cwl
> > ${WORD_LIST_COMPRESS} d < $< | ${ASPELL} ${ASPELL_FLAGS} --lang=es create master \
> >                 ./$@
> > --8<----8<----8<----8<----8<-- end -->8---->8---->8---->8---->8----
>
> That is the current way of defining implicit rules, at least in GNU make.
> I'd have expected old suffix rules to work in any make, but seems not the
> case, at least for MSYS. Will normal implicit rules work in any make?
>
> What do you think, Kevin?
>
> --
> Agustin

["configure.diff" (application/octet-stream)]

65,104c65,68
< if test x = "x$ASPELL"; then
<     ASPELL=aspell;
< fi
<
< nok=false
< echo $ECHO_N "Finding aspell program ... $ECHO_C"
< if test -x "$ASPELL"; then
<     if "$ASPELL" --version 1> /dev/null 2>&1; then
< 	echo "$ASPELL"
<     else
< 	echo "not found"
< 	nok=true
<     fi
< else
<     echo "not found"
<     nok=true
< fi
<
< if test x = "x$WORD_LIST_COMPRESS"; then
<     WORD_LIST_COMPRESS=word-list-compress;
< fi
<
<
< echo $ECHO_N "Finding word-list-compress program ... $ECHO_C"
< if test -x "$WORD_LIST_COMPRESS"; then
<     if "$WORD_LIST_COMPRESS" 1> /dev/null --version 2>&1; then
<         echo "$WORD_LIST_COMPRESS"
<     else
< 	# some word list compress have 1 return status on --version !!
< 	if test $? -eq 1; then
<             echo "$WORD_LIST_COMPRESS"
< 	else
<             echo "not found"
<             nok=true
< 	fi
<     fi
< else
<     echo "not found"
<     nok=true
< fi
---
> if test x = "x$ASPELL"
> then ASPELL=aspell; fi
> if test x = "x$WORD_LIST_COMPRESS"
> then WORD_LIST_COMPRESS=word-list-compress; fi
122,125d85
<
< if $nok; then
<     echo "Some problem have been found, solve them and run again configure before \
running make" > /dev/stderr < fi

["configure" (application/octet-stream)]