List:       aspell-user
Subject:    Re: [Aspell-user] Where is the personal dictionary for English language?
From:       Kevin Atkinson <kevina () gnu ! org>
Date:       2011-09-24 4:02:26

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Swarup wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 21:28 -0600, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

>> # personal (string)
>> #   personal dictionary file name
>> # default: .aspell.<lang>.pws = .aspell.en.pws
>>
>> The "default:" line tells you what the effective value is.
>
> Can you tell me how to change the setting, so that it will look as you
> say it should look. I very much want to be able to edit that personal
> English dictionary.

Please see the manual.  There are multiple ways to configure Aspell.  A
personal configuration file will be your best bet.

> I am somewhat confused at this point as to where all those words I
> added, have been saved.

If its not ".aspell.en.pws" I do not know where it will be.  Is there no
other files that start with ".aspell" in your home directory?

>> You can also make sure Aspell is being used by creating a document with
>> some words you know are in the personal dictionary and then checking it
>> using "aspell check".
>
> I can do so, but I think you'll see by the gedit version that it is not
> new, and I believe predates the inclusion of Enchant.

Well, this is the only way I will be convinced Aspell is being used.

Also, it could be gedit is changing the settings.  At this point I can't
really give you any more advice other than use strace on gedit and look
for any files opened with "aspell" or "en", etc in the name.