List:       aspell-user
Subject:    Re: [Aspell-user] unable to enter Nroff mode?
From:       Thomas Guettler <hv () tbz-pariv ! de>
Date:       2006-08-18 6:58:38

Am Freitag, 18. August 2006 00:02 schrieb Garey Mills:
> Hello -
>
> 	I have aspell installed on a Solaris system. I invoke it from a
> web-based editor and everything works fine. I am now trying to invoke it
> from a Javascript routine and I'm getting this error:
>
>     "Error executing '/usr/local/bin/aspell -a --encoding=utf-8 < file'
>
>      WARNING: Unable to enter nroff mode: unknown mode 'Nroff'. Error
>      no word lists can be found for the language 'en_US'"
>
> 	Can you give me any clue as to why this might be occuring?

I had this error, too. But I have an own "language" (--lang).
I got it working with this symlinks:

nroff.amf -> /usr/lib64/aspell-0.60/nroff.amf
standard.kbd -> /usr/lib64/aspell-0.60/standard.kbd

Maybe nroff.amf is missing?

You can debug aspell by calling it with strace, and then
search for "open". You see which files aspell tried to open.

 HTH,
  Thomas