List:       aspell-user
Subject:    [Aspell-user] Output suggestions and accept first suggestion always?
From:       Samuel Murray <leuce () absamail ! co ! za>
Date:       2005-11-15 11:23:23

G'day everyone

I would like to use Aspell for something it was probably not designed
for, so I apologise in advance :-)

I know I can get Aspell to output a list of unrecognised words from a
spellchecked document (I use this method for spellchecking in OmegaT).
I also know that Aspell can suggest corrections.  But can I get Aspell
to output not the unrecognised words but the suggested corrections
instead?  And/or can I get Aspell to automatically accept the first
suggestion?

I'll be honest with my goal... I'm an unofficial volunteer for a
spellchecker project that runs in Microsoft Word (freeware but not free
software).  The spellchecker spellchecks Afrikaans documents in English
with a custom dictionary in Afrikaans.  It's not the best solution but
many people seem satisfied with it.  Spellchecking in English has some
disadvantages, for example the English word "department" looks a lot
like the Afrikaans word "departement".  If the user types "department"
(a spelling error in Afrikaans), the spellchecker won't indicate the
word as a spelling error.  The kludge is an autocorrect function that
changes "department" to "departement" (or "departmentq") as soon as the
user types the word.  It is this autocorrect list that I'd like to
create... by getting Aspell to give me a list of English words that are
most likely misspellings of the Afrikaans words in my list.

Can this be done?  If so, what would the syntax be?  Or if not, and you
feel like it, does anyone know of a method which may be useful to me?
I'm a Windows l-user but I can use Linux (or cygwin) if I really, really
try hard :-).

Thanks!
Samuel Murray
http://www.leuce.com/translate/