List:       aspell-user
Subject:    [aspell] Crossplatform coding..
From:       fret () ozemail ! com ! au (Matthew Allen)
Date:       2001-01-19 5:23:41

To the people working on Aspell,

I'm working on a cross platform mail client (BeOS/Linux/Win32) and I thought I'd dive \
into the Aspell code and produce a version that compiles with VC++ 6 on Win32.

Now I've found that due to coding solely for gcc, certain compiler specific things \
have crept into the code base. I would like to replace these compiler specific things \
with code that compiles on both GCC and VC++. Thats if people don't mind too much.

Some examples of what I mean:

adding:
	using namespace std;
to the namespace declarations where needed to access string an o/istream etc.

from:
	static int len = 256;
	char buffer[len]; // this isn't standard C++ is it?
to:
	#define BUFFER_LEN 256
	char buffer[BUFFER_LEN]; // or something similar
or even:
	int len;
	char *buffer;
	len=256;
	buffer = new char[len];

from:
	class a {
		virtual a *func() = 0;
	};
	class a_impl {
		a_impl *func() { return this; }
	};
to:
	class a {
		virtual a *func() = 0;
	};
	class a_impl {
		a *func() { return this; }
	};

and other changes as required (and I remember).

What do you guys think?

also on a side note...
it would be nice for the source code to have the same file extensions as other \
compilers, eg .cpp for source and .h for headers. I know gcc supports this just as \
well as .cc and .hh so it's not like it's going to screw up anything in unix, it's \
just better for other compilers.

one last thing:
I found the header in pspell: string_list.h has:

#ifndef PSPELL_STRING_MAP__H
#define PSPELL_STRING_MAP__H

at the top to prevent multiple compilation... why is it "PSPELL_STRING_MAP__H" which \
is the same as string_map.h?? This causes compile problems.

It should be changed to PSPELL_STRING_LIST__H to make things clear.

Thanks for listening.
--
Matthew Allen
(http://www.ozemail.com.au/~fret)