List:       aspell-user
Subject:    Re: [aspell] The proposal Aspell interface
From:       Kevin Atkinson <kevinatk () home ! com>
Date:       2000-03-03 9:30:46

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Asger Alstrup Nielsen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I had a cursory look at Kevin's proposal for a C++ interface to Aspell.
>
> This is my main critique:
>
> Most of it is not a spell checking interface, but a reimplementation of
> common data structures, and iterators.
>
> Now, it might be that your particular design is marginally better than
> the STL, but I think it's an error to demand that potential development
> users of Aspell have to learn yet another design.
>
> It would be better to stick to the existing STL structures and reuse
> those as far as possible.
>
> It's more important for the interface to be small and easily
> understandable than to be optimized.

Ah, but I want it to be used my projects such as AbiWord and Mozilla which
currently band the STL.

I can always wrap into into STL like structures and iterators.... Most of
it will be inline so there should not be any major performance decrease.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevinatk@home.com
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/