List:       arts
Subject:    Re: Why aRts? When we have ALSA?
From:       "Richard A. Smith" <rsmith () bitworks ! com>
Date:       2001-07-16 15:52:19

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:36:08 +0200, kreuzritter2000 gmx.de wrote:

>> Yes, when using OSS any sound card features not supported but OSS
>> won't be used by aRts, although  aRts may provide some of the same
>> functions
>> less efficiently in software.
>
>That's sad to hear.
>For example mixing sound channels via the soundcard hardware
>is a lot faster then with the arts software sound-server.
>And when it comes to games like quake3 or so, then i think the hardware
>way is a lot better.

This is OT but..Do you happen to have or know of some sort of list of
soundcards or chipsets that support hardware level mixing with ALSA?
I have a Embedded system that uses aRts for a software mixer.  aRts
is great but its a little heavy for my system and I would love to
move this down to the ALSA level.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith@bitworks.com               501.846.5777