List:       arts
Subject:    Why aRts? When we have ALSA?
From:       "kreuzritter2000 gmx.de" <kreuzritter2000 () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-07-14 19:30:31

Hello

I have two questions that was missing in the ALSA handbook or documentation files.

1. "Why aRts? When we have the ALSA-Library?"

I read the aRts.pdf information file, that was available on LinuxTag.

It says that aRts and the addons will be like a fully capable music editing studio in \
future and everthing that a musician needs will be done with alsa in software.

On the Alsa page it says, that alsa is a powerfull linux sound driver architectur,
that makes it possible to use the special hardware features of your soundcard.

For example when your soundcard has some effects in hardware like reverb etc. then
alsa is the right architecur to acces these hardware features.
In other words those effects are like the arts modules, the only different is, that \
with alsa they are done with your hardware (that's fast), and in arts they are done \
in software (that can be slow).

The alsa-library is the thing that gives you an easy access for porgramm writers that \
want to use alsa features with their programmes. So like arts, one library but many \
applications that can access this library.

So can anybody answer me my question?
What's the point with all this, aRts and alsa?

2. The next quesion ist the following:

In the arts manual handbook it says, that the alsa driver can be used with aRts, but \
only in OSS compatibily mode.

But OSS is only a primitve input/output sound driver architecture that doesn't use \
the special hardware features of good professional soundcards.

So when arts is only using OSS, does this mean that it makes the hardware effects of
a good soundcard useless?

Is it planed to make aRts capable of using the hardware effects of the soundcard(by \
using the alsa-drivers and library) for some effects instead of using the \
arts-software-only modules?

I asked this, because it saves cpu power and doesn't make good soundcards obsolute.