List:       arts
Subject:    Re: Multithreaded audioiooss for arts
From:       Jeff Tranter <tranter () pobox ! com>
Date:       2001-05-29 23:11:03

I was able to get it to run. I don't see any significant performance
improvement though. My crude benchmark was to run 5 copies of noatun
playing ogg sound files. With the standard OSS driver running with
real-time priority the load average is just less than one. With the
real-time version it seems to be about 4. This is on a PIII 600 running
the 2.4.5 kernel and glibc 2.1.

It also only worked for me if I used the real-time wrapper. Just running
artsd -a toss did not produce any output and the sound player was
blocked.

Could it be the performance boost is more significant for slower machines or
when playing videos? Maybe we can get some more benchmark data points.