List:       arts
Subject:    Re: SV: How to "connect" a software-keyboard
From:       Rene Fertig <rene.fertig () wtal ! de>
Date:       2000-07-31 19:45:07

Hi.

At Mon, 31 Jul 2000 you wrote:
> > I'm new to aRTs and I'm playing around with it to get more familiar.
> > Because I didn't own a Midi-keyboard yet, I'd like to connect a software
> > keyboard (clavier from Simon Kagedal) to aRTs. Can anyone help?
> I can't, but I have a suggestion. If you can interface aRts with Brahms you
> could at least write scores for it. Perhaps you're already doing this in which

I've tried to connect Brams with aRts (including recompiling Brams), but I
couldn't make a go of it.

But I found a other solution:
First starting clavier and telling it to write its output to /tmp/midififo:
  clavier -o /tmp/midififo &

Then starting midisend and tell that it should use /tmp/midififo for input:
  midisend -f /tmp/midififo

First I tried to use stdin/stdout and a pipe with
  clavier -o - | midisend -f -
but this didn't work (clavier starts to slow, and midisend times out).

So I can use clavier until I've bought a real keyboard.

Ciao, Rene