List:       arts
Subject:    Re: upcoming aRts-website
From:       Peter Nicolai <pn275 () is9 ! nyu ! edu>
Date:       2000-07-24 16:36:10

Harald Lapp wrote:

> please tell me, if you are interested in a user-site and
> if you have any ideas, what could be on it. i hope the
> interest in aRts will grow in future and so i thought
> such a site wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'd be interested.  I never got aRts to work, I'm still too unfamiliar
with the whole thing of configuring, compiling, and the way shared
libraries work on linux.  I have some books on programming but they
don't really cover that stuff.  I'd like to know where people learn that
part of it because everyone kind of assumes everybody knows it already.
But I like the idea of artsd as I understand it -- it would be nice also
to have a Python interface, I think Python could be great for playing
around with sound and midi stuff but it currently lacks a good interface
to either of these things.   I've been playing with PySDL and it's so
easy and fun that now I want to do other things in Python, too.

Anyway, I have a lot of newbie-type questions that would probably be
less obnoxious on an online forum than on a mailing list --P