List:       arts
Subject:    No sound (With crash)
From:       Johan_Jönemo <wiz () mensa ! se>
Date:       2000-07-24 10:14:36

> Have you got an KDE2.0 version of aRts (as you talk about system events), from
> a KDE2.0 beta or from the KDE2.0 CVS, or have you got aRts-0.3.4.1?

aRts 0.3.4.1. (I meant that I can't get windows style beeps and plings on e g menu \
popups)
> If you have aRts-0.3.4.1:

> For midibus to work, you first need to compile and install aRts, then Brahms.
> You also first need to start aRts, and then Brahms, for Brahms detecting
> the midibus stuff. You should then be able to choose it as "Output" for a
> track (where normally, your soundcard is selected).

I got errors when I wrote make install. Should I in anyway have uninstalled Brahms \
first? It looks exactly the same so I guess that the critical file was never over \
written.

> Does a example_stereobeep.arts work? (File->Retrieve...; File->Execute)?

It seems that I get an error and the program terminates.

Terminated abnormally (1327) (though the number seems to vary)
Error in artswrapper.
File: structures.cc
Line: 144

> > An unrelated question: Can you write modules of your own for aRts? What
> > specifications do I need?

> Sure. Regarding the KDE2.0 version of aRts, it is relatively simple:

> 1. you write the definition of your module in an .idl file
> 2. you run it through mcopidl
> 3. you derive the resulting _skel class
> 4. you write a .mcopclass file

> If you look into the sources (especially kdemultimedia/arts/modules), you'll
> see its quite easy. Simply look how a simple module like Synth_WAVE_TRI is
> implemented, and write an own. With some tricks, you can also allow dynamic
> (not complete).

Ok,  so do I need some KDE 2.0 stuff to run it? Can I get it somewhere?

Johan