List:       arts
Subject:    Re: Artsdsp - Performance.
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-07-03 13:25:00

   Hi!

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 01:26:41PM +0200, Joseph WENNINGER wrote:
> I have a simple questions when I use artsdp and xmms the sound output stops
> for a moment if I drag a window or launch an application e.g konqueror,
> Xterm,... . Is this an artsdsp - xmms problem or an architectural problem of
> arts ?

aRts has a configurable buffer size. If this is small (which it is by default),
it is highly recommended to start arts with realtime rights (run arts wrapper
instead of artsd, or use kcontrol to say so).

> How does artsdsp work at all? Does it offer a pipe-device? Does this cost so
> much performace ?

It uses the normal aRts/MCOP protocol to stream the data to the soundserver,
which to do so uses a packet oriented protocol over unix domain sockets. There
is some information over various performance/latency aspects in latency.html
in the aRts documentation.

   Cu... Stefan