I'm planning to start working on improving the aRts documentation. I'd like to outline my proposal and get feedback on it before I start. What I envision is: - one manual for aRts, including artsbuilder and utilities - in the standard KDE docbook format - will go in CVS in kdemultimedia/docs/arts - will eventually replace the existing documentation - we can also put it on the aRts web site - based on material from: - aRts 0.3.x manual - artsbuilder manual in kdemultimedia - misc. docs in kdelibs/arts - additional new material Below is an outline. The aRts 0.3 manual is a very good starting point, and I've used that as a basis for the outline and plan to take all of the relevant material from it. I don't feel qualified to write all of the chapters -- an advantage of a good outline is that other people can see what work is to be done and work on chapters individually. Introduction What is aRts? History Downloading and Building aRts ARts in Detail Structures Streams Latency Publishing and Dynamic Instantiation Busses Network Transparency Security Interfaces and IDL Effects and Effect Stacks MCOP Trader MIDI Synthesis Autoloading at Startup Instruments Mapped Instruments Mixers Session Management Full duplex Audio GUI Elements MIDI The MIDI Bus Standard midisend Using aRts & Brahms Quick Start More Internal Details Other Considerations GUI Elements Introduction Parents Mixers ARts Application Programming Interfaces knotify kaudioplayer libkmid kmedia2 sound server artsflow C API ARts Tools artsd/artswrapper artsshell artsplay artsdsp artscat artscontrol arts-config Advanced Topics Artsbuilder Overview Tutorial ARts modules Introduction Synthesis Modules Reference Visual Modules Reference Porting Applications to aRts Using artsdsp Adding Native aRts support Contributing to aRts Mailing Lists Coding Standards Future Work References Appendix aRts FAQ Contributors aRts Copyright and Licensing Introduction to Digital Audio digital sampling filters effects Introduction to MIDI