List:       arts
Subject:    Re: artsdsp and GTK2/gnome
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2004-09-17 22:16:38

   Hi!

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 10:31:40AM +0200, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> > I think what might be causing your problem is recent versions of
> > libartsflow (and thus, libartscbackend) have a glib-2.0 dependancy. I am
> > not sure why and how, but people have been reporting that preloading
> > with artsdsp has been starting to fail since this change.
>
> I'm using the Debian unstable package for it, and checking the source
> gslglib.[hc] is in there. So I went back to the Debian stable box with KDE2
> and Kino 0.5 (GTK 1 version), and I had the same problem there, and the
> source for arts on Debian stable doesn't have gsl in it. So I guess that
> isn't it.

Okay, maybe - but I just saw that artsdsp xmms segfaults here (Debian
unstable AMD64) in gsl_init -> gsl_thread_self, so, to say the least,
its not always working perfectly. Xmms did work some day.

> Looking at the Kino sources, it doesn't seem to be doing anything special, it
> does try to open non-blocking first (which artsdsp.c says doesn't work) but
> if that fails it falls back to opening blocking.

Well, artsdsp will not fail on the first open, so I guess Kino will be
keeping the first one. Generally, you can use artsdsp -v to see which
syscalls get intercepted; you can use strace on the original binary to
see which syscalls the application normally makes.

If select/poll is in there, and the application depends on its
correctness, then probably you'd need to add some code to artsdsp to
make it work.

   Cu... Stefan