List:       argante
Subject:    [argante] 64bit
From:       Mariusz Mazur <mariusz () isn ! pl>
Date:       2001-05-21 15:55:49

While inside my debugger one idea hit me. If one compiles agt on a 64
bit platform than all the stob/ldb will be broken since the offsets
will differ (eg. if I store a register in memory [big endian] than on
32bit reading second byte will be mov u0, [offset+2] while on a 64bit
system it would have to be mov u0, [offset+6]) which means it would
need rewriting the assembler parts of every program (HLLs should handle
the different architectures with no problem). Could one explain to me
why is the intel's solution a bad one?

Mariusz Mazur
"One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"