List:       apreq-dev
Subject:    Re: goals for 2.03-dev?
From:       Stas Bekman <stas () stason ! org>
Date:       2003-12-08 20:21:28

Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Sven Geisler wrote:
>

>>I'd like to have parts of CGI ported to apreq. I like to
>>use CGI to generate HTML. I think using CGI in
>>mod_perl/apreq CGI consumes to much memory. Also a lot of
>>the code of CGI can be implemented in C with less memory
>>usage. May be something like Apache::CGI...
>

> Others may have different opinions, but I'd feel that adding
> in html shortcuts like this should be decoupled from the
> apreq library ...

seconded. apreq has nothing to do with generating output and probably never
will. it's designed to exclusively handle HTTP input.

>>The second suggestion is to handle different encodings.
>>Apreq should support the UTF-8 flag of Perl. This will
>>help on unicode input from browsers.
>

> Are you thinking about the perl glue? mod_perl 2 already
> handles utf-8 - it would be good to write some tests to
> see how this fares with Apache::Request et al.

mod_perl 2 doesn't do anything special to handle utf8, it just uses PerlIO (if
available) if you don't call $r->read()/$r->print() directly, which handles
utf-8 if you tell it to.

It'd be nice to start adding Apache::Request tests to mp2 tests suite too
(under modules/) like we have for CGI.pm. It'd be nice if we could arrange to
maintain one source of these tests (e.g. in apreq) and then sync them with mp2
test suite. On the other hand we really want just a few basic A-R tests in the
mp2 test suite, and leave the thorough testinig to apreq.