List:       applixware-list
Subject:    Re: Problem fetching Mail after upgrade
From:       "Steven K. Silber" <ssilber () nmrsun1 ! chem ! tamu ! edu>
Date:       2000-05-09 13:26:40

Hey Y'all-
  Eric Ding very quickly and efficiently identified my problem with fetching
system mail after upgrading from RH5.1 to 6.2.  There was a bug in axmparse
that didn't show up under 5.1 but did in 6.2 with the newer glibc.  The
Applix site has the corrected axmparse and all I had to do was download it
and all is working well.
  A big thank you to Eric for the timely help.

  A number have written to note that RH 6.2 has significant changes in the
printer interface, using parport to control and remap port names, and
indicating that lpt1: is now probably /dev/lp0 rather than /dev/lp1.
Unfortunately, I saw the printer HOWTO, redefined the plotter port, added
a couple of alias lines to /etc/conf.modules as in the HOWTO.  The problem
appears to be more fundamental than that since the test function under
printtool is unable to print to the printer port directly, bypassing the
spooler and lpd.  I CAN print to a network printer, however, so at least
a good size piece of lpd is working.  I am taking this up with Red Hat
since it is obviously an OS problem and not an Applix problem.  Many thanks
for all of those who responded, however.

Thanks to all-
Steve

--
Steven K. Silber                 E-mail: s-silber@tamu.edu
Texas A&M University             voice:  979-845-1745