List:       applixware-list
Subject:    Re: MailMerge - was Re: Re[2]: Re[3]: AWL: mail macros
From:       mark () cherry ! applix ! com (Mark Fraase)
Date:       1999-01-04 17:33:03

> Here's how we've done it in the past:
>
> write a letter using a template with all the field
> placeholders in it. Store it with a predefined name.
> Use the database to write a report with all the
> relevant data.  Cat the report file with the header file
> (viz. your ascii merge).  Merge ensuing data file with
> letter. Load letter into Applix.
>
> I need to know
>
> - how to do an ASCII merge from the command line.
> - how to load the data letter in an open Applix WP window
>    from the command line

This 'letter' that you are creating -- is it a 'single' letter
to a single individual/record (in which case, my personal
preference would be to use document variables) or are you
trying to generate 100 letters all at once for 100 records that
you've extracted from your database (traditional merge fields)?

Mark Fraase
Applix, Inc.