List:       applixware-list
Subject:    Re: Wierd problem starting applixware (get user name: No such file)
From:       "Cary B. O'Brien" <cobrien () access ! digex ! net>
Date:       1998-11-03 15:12:55

> I'm having a wierd problem with applix. Here's the data I have...
>
> I'm running a Linux system with RedHat 5.1 and glibc.
>
> When I try to start applix as user, I get the following message:
>       get user name: No such file or directory The FAQ mentions
> something like this. The solution involves /etc/yp.bind.  I'm not running
> yellow pages or bind, or any other NIS stuff on my computer. In any cases,
> it still didn't run after I made the modifications suggested.I
>
> When I try to start applix as root, it runs fine. This suggested something
> about permissions. So I made every executable in the applix directory tree
> suid root. It still wouldnt' run as user.
>
> When I run ldd on the applix binary, it says
>         libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40005000)
>         libc.so.5 => not found
>         libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1 (0x4009c000)
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4009f000)
>         /lib/ld-linux.so.1 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00000000)  I know that
> libc.so.5 is in my ldconfig search path. How can it run fine as root if it
> doesn't know about libc.so.5?
>
> I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

I'd look at /etc/nsswitch.conf and edit it so that name lookup works
the way you want.  I.E. if you don't have nisplus, take it out.  This
caused me some serious grief in a completely unrelated project.

Let us know if this works.

-- cary

>  - Rob Lopez
>    University of Chicago
>    Dept. of Physics

AB Geophysics UC, 19, well 19 something or other.  Have fun this winter!