List:       applixware-list
Subject:    Re: Installation type : Many(30) applix users on one server
From:       Phillippe Welsh <pj () cassens ! com>
Date:       1998-11-03 14:31:05

CPU usage has been minimal for us with most all normal use.  At our central
site, we have a PII 266 that remain 91% idle with 15 concurrent mixed Applix
users (some Sheets, some Inbox, some Words ...).  There could be up to 50
user that can use Applix.  The main component in the whole works will be
memory!  Lots and lots of memory!  Each users' core Applix program will
consume between 13 - 19 MB RAM, with under half shared.  Each user can start
additional Applix programs (another Sheet, Words etc) with very little
additional memory requirements.  Our PII 266 has 196MB RAM.  Linux will
try to be more effient for your programs with a  memory cache.

The disk for our AS (Application Server) is just a standard 4.3GB UDMA IDE
drive.  If at all possible, I would have your machine *avoid* swapping very
much (read: MORE RAM!).

At one point I was affraid that the 100Mb network connection would be the
slow point.  That has not proven true.  The X-terms only connect at 10Mb,
but each machine is on a seperate 3Com Switch port.

One item to keep in mind is that most of our main site X-terms (50 of them)
do not get XDM sessions from the AS.  Most XDM to one of our HP/UX machines.
Our remote sites however, are completly dependant upon thier Linux box when
using an X-term.  Everything from bootp, tftp, nfs, xdm, etc is provided to
the X-term.  One site has 10 X-terms connecting to a PII 266 with FVWM2 as
the window manager, 128MB RAM and generally has only 4 concurrent Applix
connections.  That machine sits 92% idle most of the time.

Regardless of location, all people using the X-term will connect to one
or more of our HP/UX machines and/or our AS/400.

Just to let you know, we use NCD X-terminals of various models.  We have
ECX, MCX, HMX, MPXPro, Explora, 450 and 451's.  We recently picked up
20 more HMX's for DIRT CHEAP.  Another note for those who are skeptical
of X-terms, even our programers and management use them.  You will not
believe how simple administration can be.

--
Internet:             | Phillippe J. Welsh        |
   pj@cassens.com     | Cassens Transport         | Std disclaimers apply.

It's impossible to make things idiot-proof, because idiots are SOOOOOOO
ingenious.