List:       apparmor-dev
Subject:    Re: [apparmor] 2.9 backport candidates
From:       John Johansen <john.johansen () canonical ! com>
Date:       2015-11-18 20:56:25

On 11/18/2015 12:23 PM, Christian Boltz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Dienstag, 17. November 2015 schrieb John Johansen:
>> I'm fine with pulling this set back into the tools
>>
>> Acked-by: John Johansen <john.johansen@canonical.com>
>
> Thanks, commited.
>
> Well, there's one exception:

> This patch also needs r3028 ("AATest: don't limit diff length")
> backported.
>
> Both are "just" test infrastructure which isn't used in the 2.9 branch
> yet, so there isn't an urgent need for them (we can backport them later
> if we really need that test infrastructure).
>
> However I'd prefer to apply them instead of keeping a note around that
> we might need to backport this and that before we can backport newer
> tests. Therefore I won't object if someone sends an ack for backporting
> r3028 to 2.9 ;-)
>
> Note: I don't plan to actually backport more tests, but the test
> infrastructure might be needed by a future backported fix.

I have not objections to backporting tests and test infrastructure. Testing
is good and I don't see how tests are going to introduce regressions.

The whole idea behind the backport policy is to keep the chance of a
regression at a minimum, get users fixes they need, and keep maintenance
work down so we can have some time for some development. It sounds like
backporting the infrastructure might help with future backports, reducing
the maintenance work so that in it self fits into those goals.