List:       apcupsd-users
Subject:    Re: [Apcupsd-users] Support for APC Smart UPS SMT750I
From:       Manfred Schwarb <manfred99 () gmx ! ch>
Date:       2016-05-09 14:26:34

Am 09.05.2016 um 13:21 schrieb Chris Dallimore:
> On 09/05/2016 10:58, Maas, Nico wrote:
> > Dear apcupsd Team,
> >
> > I wanted to buy an APC Smart UPS SMT750I to replace my old 750VA, which I have \
> > been using very happily with apcupsd. However, I found on an Ubuntu Manual, that \
> > the SMT750I series would not be compatible with apcupsd. I wanted to use that ups \
> > via Usb Connection and wanted to ask, wheter this UPS is now supported (can't \
> > figure out how old that warning was...) - or if I need to buy something else.
> For Modbus[1] support, this document[2] says:
>
> "Most APC Smart-UPS in the SMT family and all models in the SRT family
> are supported.  SMT rack mount 1U models are not supported and only SMT
> models running firmware greater than UPS 09.0 are supported.
> SMT models with UPS 08.0 or higher may be updated".
>
> I don't think Models with existing firmware lower than UPS 08.0 can be
> updated to use modbus.
> I would hope a newly purchased unit would be supplied with the most
> recent (or can be updated to the most recent) firmware - although it's
> probably worth confirming first.
>
> Without Modbus, the SMT750I would need a AP9620 'Legacy' card to provide
> a upslink interface that for full usage with apcupsd.

For full support yes, but even without such a serial card the UPS works just
fine with apcupsd. There is enough data reported to reliably shut down
your computer when a power outage happens.

I do have such an older SMT750I, everything works fine, besides the fact that it
only reports a subset of the available information:

DATE     : 2016-05-09 14:12:40 +0000
HOSTNAME : ups
VERSION  : 3.14.14 (30 May 2015) suse
UPSNAME  : ups
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2016-04-22 12:41:19 +0000
MODEL    : Smart-UPS 750
STATUS   : ONLINE
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT : 41.0 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
ALARMDEL : 30 Seconds
BATTV    : 27.0 Volts
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
STATFLAG : 0x05000008
MANDATE  : 2011-04-02
NOMBATTV : 24.0 Volts
FIRMWARE : UPS 07.1 / ID=17
END APC  : 2016-05-09 14:13:37 +0000

If you want to use modbus on newer smart-ups devices, you have to
- enable modbus in the UPS panel
- use a recent svn snapshot of apcupsd or apcupsd version 3.14.14 which
  will appear really really really soon now (I hope).

Cheers,
Manfred