List:       apcupsd-users
Subject:    Re: [Apcupsd-users] apcupsd not monitoring SmartUPS
From:       Trevor Roydhouse <trev () sentry ! org>
Date:       2016-05-07 0:21:08

Aaron Thomas wrote:
> I'm having a similar problem now with a Smart-UPS 3000 as I had last
> time I posted.

What model Smart-UPS 3000?  That particular generic designation has been
in use for years, the last one I saw having been manufactured in 1999.

> On the lcd display,

This hints at what the issue might be... it must be a pretty recent
model with an LCD display and all.

> When I run apctest and ask for the interval I get:
>
> I don't know how to access the self-test interval on your UPS
> or your UPS does not support the self-test interval feature.

Well, there you go. That's pretty self-explanatory. As you know the UPS
does support self-test, you're left with but one possible conclusion.

> Even though this is a Smart-UPS, which I was told apcupsd was
> specifically written to support.

I wonder who told you that apcupsd was specifically written to support
your specific UPS?

> I have yet to find an APC UPS that apcupsd actually works on. Is there
> something else I should be trying to get this working?

The APC self-test feature has very rarely actually worked and indicated
a battery issue BEFORE the batteries have either died or swollen to such
an extent that removal requires complete dis-assembly of the UPS, in my
experience over the last 17 years. I now preemptively replace batteries
every 3, 4 or 6 years depending on the battery manufacturer's
(Panasonic/Yuasa) recommendation.

So, apart from the self-test issue, in what other ways does apcupsd not
actually work on your UPS?