List:       apache-ssl
Subject:    RE: [apache-ssl] 502 Proxy Error
From:       Peter Kapakos <pkapakos () teleias ! com>
Date:       2001-10-10 20:49:57

Has anyone ever used apache-ssl as a proxy to another box and received a 502
Proxy Error?

I'm using apache-ssl as a proxy to another box running a CERN webserver. Any
standard html page on the CERN box can be displayed by the ssl proxy without
any problem, however there is one page that is a form that generates a POST
request with all the parameters of the form filled out by the user. When the
form is filled out an submitted it hits the apache-ssl proxy which encrypts
the POST request before sending it to the CERN webserver and that's when I
get the following 502 proxy error:

Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request POST
<https://123.456.789.10/cgi-bin/nhWeb>  /cgi-bin/nhWeb.

Reason: Document contains no data

I think this is because the CERN webserver does not know what to do with the
encrypted POST request. I cannot alter the POST to a GET so I need to find a
way to pass the POST request from the ssl proxy to the CERN webserver
unencrypted. Is there a way to turn off encryption for POST requests but
maintain it for the result that comes back?

Thanks,

Peter