List:       apache-server
Subject:    [apache-server] Multiple Directories, help...
From:       "Scott Vandeslunt" <high_emperor_bob () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-10-31 17:29:55

  First of all, let me describe what I have done.  I have a Pentium Pro 200
machine running RedHat Linux SeaWolf (UNIX shell only, no x-windows).  I
have installed and set up Samba Server, DHCP services, and am currently
using the machine as the file server.  It is also set up as a Primary domain
Controller, and I have windows 2000 clients validating on it and storing
their profiles on it.  It is the user server.

The problem is:  I have apache installed and working, the default page
"/var/www/html/index.html" (I believe) comes up when I type http://webserver
in a browser on the client machines...  What I would like to do however is a
bit more complicated.  I want the directories (that the PERL scripts and the
HTML documents are stored in) to CHANGE depending on what user is logged on
the client.  In other words, if JoeSchome logs on to workstation 1, I want
his page to come up when he types "http://webserver" into the browser.  If I
can't do that, I would at least like him to beable to type
"http://webserver/JoeSchmoe" and get his page...  The tricky part is I want
him to beable to execute CGI as well as SSI's.  But I don't want him to
beable to view/delete/modify other people's HTMLs/CGIs/SSIs/etc...

Right now, when I create a user on the webserver machine, the local clients
can use that name to logon to the clients, the clients profiles are stored
on the webserver and the clients have access to their home directories and
their profile directories on the server.  /home/USERNAME
and /export/smb/ntprofile/USERNAME are those directories.

Things I have tried:  Being pretty new to apache I didn't really know too
much to try, but I did try modifying the HTML directory to
/home/*/public_html.  File premissions I have enabled would only allow the
server access to the currently logged client's page and in theory, this
should work, but does not seem to.

Please send replys to scott_v@charter.net and I greatly appreciate any help.
  Thanks.  -Scott

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit \
encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide! \
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/CefplB/TM