List:       apache-modules
Subject:    Re: [apache-modules] DNS Resolver
From:       Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch () atmedia ! net>
Date:       2001-02-24 14:43:19

In <F27MSaQz8xckA1Qcaz500001196@hotmail.com>, "Ashwin Shah" <asshah98@hotmail.com> writes:
>         Well, so my problem lies here , in case of a machine going down ,how
> can I inform the DNS that
> my primary machine is down and any further requests on this machine have to
> be given to the backup machine, so that the DNS can make the appropriate
> changes and also change its resource records
> without ANY MANUAL intervention .

You could run a nameserver allowing dynamic updates, and have a server monitor
issue DDNS updates, however this puts higher load on your nameserver and even
with a very short time to live you will still see DNS information being cached,
and traffic routed to unavailable servers.

For faster and more reliable load distribution to available servers, you can
either advertize the same address for all servers and distribute traffic by
managing routing costs, or advertize the address of a load balancer
cluster (such as Network Dispatcher)

See also http://www.backhand.org for information about mod_backhand and links
to other load balancing/failover solutions.

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net