List:       apache-modules
Subject:    Re: [apache-modules] mod_xsendfile
From:       "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe () rowe-clan ! net>
Date:       2006-07-31 19:26:29

Never looked at it before, so you piqued my curiosity.

AFAICT it's zero benefit, if you want to serve content directly using
sendfile and mmap, just configure your content correctly and avert adding
any filters or handlers, and that includes cache.  Handling the header
string they designate adds cpu cycles ;)

I can see how it might be useful if you must load and configure every
module under the sun, but want a small subset of your content to avoid
all of that extra weight.

It looks entirely generic, just wrap it in a .dsp (clone any of httpd's)
or use apxs (even on win32... http://archive.apache.org/dist/perl/win32-bin/
you'll find apxs_win32.)

Also look at mod_file_cache (not really part of the mod_cache stack!)

Bill