List:       apache-modules
Subject:    Re: [apache-modules] Apache 2 modules and content types
From:       Nick Kew <nick () webthing ! com>
Date:       2004-03-24 2:34:01

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Vacuum Joe wrote:

> In Apache 1, I could register handlers which would
> only be activated for certain content types.  It seems
> like in the hook system in Apache 2, that is no longer
> true.  Any hook that I register for some phase of the
> request is going to get called no matter what the
> content type is.  Is this correct?

Indeed.  It's down to the homogenisation of the API: the hook for
early phases (before content type or handler has been determined)
takes the same form as the handler hook.

>	  If I want a filter
> that changes every occurence of a certain word in an
> HTML page, I would have to have the first action of
> the filter be to check for the content type of
> text/html, and if it isn't, return declined, right?

You could do that - c.f. how mod_proxy_html does it.

But the AddOutputFilter and AddOutputFilterByType directives
enable you to configure it directly - except when you're in a proxy.

--
Nick Kew