List:       apache-modules
Subject:    Re: [apache-modules] handling a fatal error in child_init
From:       Jeff Trawick <trawick () attglobal ! net>
Date:       2003-02-28 10:53:22

Steve Hutton wrote:

> However when my module crashes from child_init
> (e.g. due to mis-configuration of the module) it
> might be more appropriate to shutdown
> Apache until the problem can be fixed, since
> all subsequent child_init calls will fail.  Is there
> a way for a module to shutdown apache (2.x)?

There is a special exit status -- APEXIT_CHILDFATAL -- which the parent
recognizes as a fatal error.  Your child_init would need to exit the
process with this status.

Note that such action may be considered evil by other modules who run
first.  If at all possible you should check for conditions that may fail
before child processes are created.