List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    Re: Urgent: remove password from server cert?
From:       James Treworgy <jamie () trewtech ! com>
Date:       2000-05-31 15:10:02

Add:

SSLPassPhraseDialog exec:(path to SSLpassphrasefile)

to httpd.conf

SSLpassphrasefile is:

#!/bin/sh
echo (passphrase)

Of course, this is a security risk, since you've got your pass phrase
stored on the server itself in clear text. The consequences of that should
be considered.  You could improve this a little by having your
SSLPassphrasefile keep the passphrase in some encrypted form, and pass it
the decryption key from httpd.conf which would at least require a hacker
gain access to both files to get the pass phrase. But I can't think of a
really secure way to accomplish this.

Jamie