List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    1710 error
From:       David.Smith () esa ! int
Date:       2000-10-31 16:06:43

Folks,

I'm trying to get Apache 1.3.14 running on a Solaris 2.6 system. I've build the
server with mod_ssl 2.7.1 and open_ssl 0.9.6. It appears to start fine, but when
I run:
openssl s_client -connect localhost:443 -state -debug
as suggested in the FAQ I get the following:

SSL_connect:error in SSLv2/v3 read server hello A
1710:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
protocol:s23_clnt.c:460:

Please - what have I done wrong???

I'm also having a heck of a job getting a randomiser that works on Solaris. I've
tried the SUNWski package and /dev/random. I've tried egd pointing at
/etc/entropy. When I run the openssl above with RANDFILE set to /etc/entropy it
just hangs. If I set RANDFILE to /dev/random I get the following:

unable to load 'random state'
This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
with much random data.
Consider setting the RANDFILE environment variable to point at a file that
'random' data can be kept in (the file will be overwritten).

In both cases any attempt to connect via Netscape (v 4.7) just hangs. (using
https://<machinename>:443>).

Guidance on this one also very gratefully received.

Cheers for now,

Dave Smith