List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    SGC problems in IE
From:       Lennart_Börjeson <LennartB () cinnober ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 10:10:23

Fellows,

one of our customers have reported the following problems when using SGC and
IE:

"I've tried the certificate with the followings settings:

Windows 2000 pro /ie 5.01 with High Encryption Pack - Works Fine
Windows 2000 pro /Netscape Navigator 4.08 - Works Fine

NT4 Workstation with Service Pack 6 / ie 4.01 Without High encryption pack -
Ie says that the certificate is not valid.
NT4 Workstation with Service Pack 6 / ie 5.01 With High encryption pack - Ie
says nothing, and has to be restarted in order to surf somewhere else.

We got a certificate from Verisign, and it is 128 bit."

This is on an apache 1.3.9 with mod_ssl 2.4.2. I've verified that the
SSLCertificateChainFile points to the intermediate certificate.

I've also verified (openssl x509 -noout -text -in customer.crt) that the
certificate really is SGC enabled (Netscape Cert Type: SSL Server, X509v3
Extended Key Usage: Netscape Server Gated Crypto).

What can the problem be?

!++
! Lennart Börjeson
! Principal Software Engineer