List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    Re: AuthType and SSL
From:       "Cliff Woolley" <jwoolley () wlu ! edu>
Date:       1999-12-22 22:33:56

>>> "Keith Vance" <Kvance@prmc.com> 12/22/99 02:06PM >>>

>The https is setup as a virtual host, right?
>And I can tell it which directory to use for this virtual host.

Generally, yes.

>Do I have to create a <Directory> entry in my httpd.conf
>file for the same directory that I want to protect. I obviously
>know nothing about SSL or virtual hosts, I have a lot of reading to
do.

Yes.  Or a .htaccess file in that directory.  (AuthType and its pals
can only be located within per-directory configuration sections, which
is why you're getting the error on startup.)

>My other question is, will mod_ssl encrypt my passwords?

Yes.  SSL is a layer below HTTP or whatever other protocol you choose
to run on top of it.  So for HTTP(S) purposes, both the request and the
response are encrypted, including the basic auth information, which is
sent as a request header.

>If I setup a virtual host with the directory
>/usr/local/apache/wwwroot/it and do
>authentication at that level, can I then
>do further authentication at the
>/usr/local/apache/wwwroot/it/routers?

Yep.  Either make a new <Directory> block or, again, you can use a
.htaccess file in that directory.

--Cliff

Cliff Woolley
Central Systems Software Administrator