List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    apache 2.0 fails on startup with SSL (no console or log errors found!)
From:       "Heather M. Yager" <heather.yager () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-12-18 14:38:22

Hi list folk!

I'm having trouble getting mod_ssl working on a fresh install of apache
2.0 on SUSE Linux 9.

The problem: when I start apache with 'APACHE_SERVER_FLAGS="-D SSL"' in
my sysconfig/apache2 file, it fails with no explanation: no errors in
the error log, no errors on the console, other than returning "failed".

When I start apache without "-D SSL", it runs with no problem, and I can
use port 443 - it just points to the default location on my server.
Running "apache extreme-configtest" yields "Syntax: OK".  This is the
first time I've set up a secure site, so I assume I'm either missing
something obvious or subtle... any help or advice is most appreciated!

My configuration:
---> my sysconfig/apache2 file contains:

APACHE_SERVER_FLAGS="-D SSL"
APACHE_MODULES="... ssl ..."

(Consequently... "LoadModule ssl_module
/usr/lib/apache2-prefork/mod_ssl.so" is in my loadmodule.conf)

---> My VHost file contains:
<VirtualHost *:443>
	DocumentRoot (my path)
	ServerName *:443
	ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error_log
	TransferLog /var/log/apache2/access_log
	SSLEngine on
	SSLCipherSuite (default)
	SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/server.crt
	SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl.key/server.key
	<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
	    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
	</Files>
	<Directory "/srv/www/cgi-bin">
	    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
	</Directory>
	CustomLog /var/log/apache2/ssl_request_log   ssl_combined
</VirtualHost>

The certificate files are pointing to the correct place, and I've
created self-signed keys/certs several times in several places with
several different methods - to no effect - and am somewhat confident
that the keys/certs are not the problem.

---> My "Directory" directive for the SSL document root directory contains:
        SSLRequireSSL
        SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
        Options Includes
        AllowOverride All
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all

---> My ssl-global.conf file contains:
	AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt
	AddType application/x-pkcs7-crl    .crl
	SSLPassPhraseDialog  builtin
	SSLSessionCache         dbm:/var/lib/apache2/ssl_scache
	SSLSessionCacheTimeout  600
	SSLMutex  file:/var/lib/apache2/ssl_mutex
	SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
	SSLRandomSeed connect builtin

Thanks for any help you can give!
Heather Yager
Database Programmer, Academy of Natural Sciences