List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    client certificate problems
From:       "john mcnicholas" <jomcn () mail ! com>
Date:       2005-01-11 18:32:41

In short I'm working on duplicating a web site locally for testing and
I am unable to get Client certificates to work here in my lab.

The "main/public" site is using apache 1.3.33 on OS X and is properly
configured for client certs, but I can't get this test configuration
to work. I am using "Apache 2.0.52" so that could be a factor.
(if necessary, I will try to reconfigure with 1.3.33)

The client browser is IE 6.x and what is odd is when I navigate to the
"main/public" site I am prompted to select a certificate, but when
I  navigate to the "test" site IE 6.x just times out.  For that reason
I am suspicious of the apache configuration but I can't be certain.

I tried with FireFox (1.0) and it also timed out. Firefox is
configured to "ask every time" for client cert. selection and
like IE, I am not prompted.

(I'm also suspicious as to why I can't select the client certificate
from the IE dialog for the test site - only the certificate for the
public site is listed.)

The virtual host configuration is listed below ("ssl.conf" was
unchanged for 2.0.52) and the error in the ssl.log is also listed
below.  If anyone could offer any trouble shooting tips that would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

John

//-------------------------------------------------

Additional information:

Version: Apache/2.0.52
OS:      Mac OS X 10.3.7

//-------------------------------------------------

// here is the log of the error:

[info] Initial (No.1) HTTPS request received for child 5 (server
www.apollo.home:443)
[debug] ssl_engine_kernel.c(422): Changed client verification type will
force renegotiation
[info] Requesting connection re-negotiation
[debug] ssl_engine_kernel.c(650): Performing full renegotiation:
complete handshake protocol
[info] Awaiting re-negotiation handshake
[debug] ssl_engine_kernel.c(1756): OpenSSL: Handshake: start
[debug] ssl_engine_kernel.c(1764): OpenSSL: Loop: before accept
initialization
[debug] ssl_engine_io.c(1517): OpenSSL: I/O error, 5 bytes expected to
read on BIO#1280be0 [mem: 7f7000]
[debug] ssl_engine_kernel.c(1793): OpenSSL: Exit: error in SSLv2 read
client hello B
[error] Re-negotiation handshake failed: Not accepted by client!?

//-------------------------------------------------

// here is the virtual host info:

<VirtualHost www.apollo.home:443>
     DocumentRoot "/some_directory/ssl_site"
     ServerAdmin webmaster@testing.com
     ServerName www.apollo.home
     LogLevel warn
     # LogLevel debug

     SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
              nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
              downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

     #   Per-Server Logging:

     CustomLog  logs/apollo/443.access.log "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x
%{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

     ErrorLog   logs/apollo/443.error.log
     DirectoryIndex "index.html"
     <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
         #
         #  ssl stuff
         #
         SSLEngine On
         SSLProtocol all -SSLv3
         SSLCipherSuite
"ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL"

         #
         #
         LogLevel debug
         ErrorLog "logs/apollo/ssl.log"
         SSLOptions +StdEnvVars +ExportCertData

         #----------------------------------------
         #
         # path to certificates and private key
         #
         SSLCertificateFile
"/some_directory/openssl/servers/www.apollo.home.cert.pem"
         SSLCertificateKeyFile
"/some_directory/openssl/servers/www.apollo.home.key.unencrypted"

         SSLCACertificateFile
"/some_directory/openssl/private/CA-1.cert.pem"
     </IfModule>

     <Location /secure_dir>
         SSLVerifyClient require
         SSLVerifyDepth  3