List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    Performance tuning modssl/reverse proxy
From:       Danny Kruitbosch <d.kruitbosch () rdc ! nl>
Date:       2002-08-26 6:02:34

Hi,

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to tune the performance of
modssl in the folowing situation:

apache/modssl as a ssl reverse proxy   (browser ---> (https) ---> ssl
reverse proxy ---> (http) ---> webserver/webappl.)
All will be running on Linux/Intel

I would like to know the following:

- which ssl accelerator cards are supported (by openssl/modssl) best in
this setup
- are there any guidelines for calculating the amount of memory/cpu
power etc
- what compile/config steps can we take to tune the system
- any prefered  Linux distro (Mandrake, RedHat, SuSe; we don't do any
debian or slackware)
- Is Apache 2.0 a better option than 1.3.x
- Does anyone have some benchmark info on a system like this (we need to
support about 2300 concurrent SSL sessions at any given moment)

Thanks,

Danny Kruitbosch