List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    connection problems with some versions of Internet Explorer
From:       "Tom Heyligen" <tomheyligen () pandora ! be>
Date:       2001-11-25 0:01:58

Hello,

I'm using Apache 1.3.22 with mod ssl-2.8.5 and OpenSSL 0.9.6b. I've
configured a webserver which requires both server and client authentication.

For testing purposes I have set up my own Certificate Authority which is
able to sign server and client certificates. So far everything is fine: when
using MSIE 5.0 I can import and use client certificates.

However if I connect to my webserver using MSIE 5.5 or MSIE 6.0. I get this
error:
 HTTP500 Internal Server Error
 The page cannot be displayed
(instead of displaying an (empty) listbox asking to select a certificate)

It leaves this in my Apache error_log file:
[Sat Nov 24 15:50:53 2001] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (OpenSSL
library error follows)
[Sat Nov 24 15:50:53 2001] [error] OpenSSL: error:140890C7:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_CERTIFICATE:peer did not return a certificate
[Hint: No CAs known to server for verification?]

This is true since this client has no client certificate at all, BUT IE
didn't even present its listbox with possible certificates...

What am I missing? or doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Tom

PS. Since my registration is not yet complete, can you please send your
reply also to tomheyligen@pandora.be directly? Thank you.