List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    Re: Virtual Servers with SSL
From:       Owen Boyle <obo () bourse ! ch>
Date:       2001-11-28 9:47:13

"Ravi Babu D - CTD, Chennai." wrote:

> Hi ,
>
>   Can any one help me in cofiguring Virtual server with SSL support in
> Apache1.3.19 with mod_ssl2.8.3. I heard that name based virtual servers
> doen't support SSL but ip based does. Also please help me in creating dummy
> key and cert in apache1.3.19 with mod_ssl2.8.3.

Your right about name-based virtual-hosts.. You can't have more than one
SSL VH per IP/port. see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modssl&m=98576871506980&w=2 fro
reasons why.

To set up an SSL VH, its just the same as a normal VH - but switch on
port 443, e.g.

Listen servername:443
<Virtualhost servername:443>
  DocuumentRoot <ssl-content-path>
  ... SSL directives

</VirtualHost>

You can still have HTTP name-based VHs... as well.

To make certs, etc, see
http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC29

- summary of commands (for a no-pass-phrase cert).

# openssl genrsa -des3 -out www.kiwi.com.key 1024
# openssl rsa -in www.kiwi.com.key -out banana
# mv banana www.kiwi.com.key
# openssl req -new -key www.kiwi.com.key -out www.kiwi.com.csr