List:       apache-modperl-dev
Subject:    Re: mp2 - still cannot start server on solaris
From:       Stas Bekman <stas () stason ! org>
Date:       2003-11-13 22:12:34

Tulan W. Hu wrote:
>>Thanks for the trace, Tulan. Something goes wrong on the perl side, though
>
> I'm
>
>>not sure what :( I think I saw a similar problem when fighting with the
>
> AIX
>
>>build some time ago.
>

> I have the same problem when I tried the Apache 2.0.46 with perl 5.8.0 on
> solaris.
> I installed it and got a core dump when I started the server.
> Builting Apache 2.0.48 mod_perl 1.99_11 with perl 5.8.1 gave me an compile
> error.
> I have tried the "gcc" with and without "-B/usr/ccs/bin" option when I built
> perl
> and both gave me same results.

It'd be useful for you to report more details on the compile error. In any
case you always want to build perl and apache using the same compiler.
mod_perl automatically picks the compiler used to build perl (and the compile
options)

>>Chances are that you will be able to install and run your code without any
>>problems though. This particular problem happens because of PerlLoadModule
>>causing and early perl startup. Let me know if you have problems to run
>
> your
>
>>own code with 1.99_11.
>

> I installed it without testing and still got a core dump when I started the
> server.

:(

>>I'm trying to solve some other problems with the startup at the moment.
>
> Let's
>
>>hope that if I come up with a robust solution it'll resolve these as well.
>

> I guess I should not be in a hurry to upgrade my server because we must use
> mod_perl.

Sorry for not being able to solve this at the moment. Please do try to see if
new versions get it resolved and report back if you have any discoveries that
may help us.

Ideally someone on Solaris with undertstanding of perl guts should try to fix
it. At the moment I'm swamped with quite a few annoying problems, so I can't
do that.

> Shall I upgrade the perl first? We are currently using mp1 with
> perl 5.6.0.
> Do you think perl 5.8.2 is stable for using?

Most likely 5.8.2 is fine. Or you could go with 5.6.1 which is pretty good and
5.6.2 should be released shortly. Since you most likely do a thorough testing
before you go update your production server, I'd give a try to 5.8.2.

> I shall rebuild the mp1 server if I upgrade my perl right?

That's correct.