List:       apache-modperl
Subject:    mod_perl and DBI Weirdness
From:       John Jung <jung () ugsolutions ! com>
Date:       2001-01-31 18:55:26

Hi All,

  I have built Apache 1.3.14 with mod_perl 1.24_01 and PHP 4.0.4, and Ingres
is installed on the system.  Everything works except for one truly odd
thing...  Before I proceed here's my configuration information as it relates
to mod_perl:

    <Directory "/app/www/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        Options ExecCGI
        PerlHandler Apache::Registry
    </Directory>

  (There are no PerlRequire statments in the httpd.conf file.)

  Now for the weirdness...  Somebody has written a Perl script that talks to
the Ingres database via DBI.  Using the above configuration information the
script does what its supposed to, and everything is right with the world.

  But if I add in:

SetHandler perl-script

  to the middle of the <Directory> directive above, the script blows up.
error_log says:

DBI->connect(xxxx::xxxx) failed: E_LQ0001 Failed to connect to DBMS session
.
E_LC0001 GCA protocol service (GCA_INITIATE) failure.
    Internal service status E_GC0006 -- Duplicate initiate request. at
/app/www/
cgi-bin/phone.pl line 74
[Wed Jan 31 09:27:13 2001] [error] E_LQ0001 Failed to connect to DBMS
session.
E_LC0001 GCA protocol service (GCA_INITIATE) failure.
    Internal service status E_GC0006 -- Duplicate initiate request. at
/app/www/
cgi-bin/phone.pl line 74.

  (Line 74 is the first time the script attempts to connect to Ingres.)

  Why does SetHandler perl-script cause an otherwise functional CGI to
completely blow up?

  Any help is appreciated.

						John

--